Thursday, September 19, 2013

Se una notte d'inverno un viaggiatore

Or, why I don't really like Cloud Atlas.

This topic came to mind when we were discussing chronological manipulation and the nature of plot and story in class.  A bit of background first-- last year, in Mrs. Turner's English class, I elected to read Cloud Atlas, a book by David Mitchell which was recently developed into a film.  It did win several prizes and all that jazz (although so did Wolf Hall), and after reading a brief description, I was hooked.

Cover of Cloud Atlas, David Mitchell.

In short, Cloud Atlas is split into sections which differ in viewpoint.  The first section is narrated by Adam Ewing, an incredibly gullible American notary.  Halfway through his 'Pacific Journal', though, the section ends mid-sentence and is replaced by a series of 'Letters from Zedelghem', written by Robert Frobisher, a young composer.  These literary shenanigans continue, with the only interrupted section being in the middle; subsequently, the stories complete themselves, with the book ending with Ewing's record of his recovery from sickness.  Each section proves to be rife with foreshadowing and flashbacks, primarily for use in connecting the sections.

At the time of my reading, I was quite impressed by Mitchell's style.  I had never read a book of this sort before, and I found the interweaving chronologies captivating.  However, the themes struck me as somewhat uninspired; nothing from the different responses of characters upon encountering evil to the flowery language in the final chapter had particularly interested me.

Then, a fateful moment: looking for the date of publication, I happened to read in the Wikipedia page that the style of Cloud Atlas, which had so drawn me in, was actually almost entirely derived from an earlier work, Se una notte d'inverno un viaggiatore (or, if you prefer, as I do, If on a winter's night a traveler.)

Cover of Se una notte d'invierno un viaggiatore / If on a winter's night a traveler, Italo Calvino.

This book is not quite what it seems, and yet it presents its ideas clearly and simply.

(Although I honestly didn't think it was all that possible to spoil Cloud Atlas because of the detailed nature of the different parts, I take a different view of this novel, and so my synopsis will be cursory and nonspecific.)

If on a winter's night a traveler is about the reader-- you!  Yes, the greater part is in second person, something that was disconcerting at first, but was clearly demonstrated as a powerful tool in Calvino's capable hands.

Essentially, though the book does involve the splitting of viewpoints, it is quite different in nature (and reading experience) from Cloud Atlas.  The latter is exactly as it sounds-- weighty, complex, and just a little difficult to immerse oneself in.  By contrast, Calvino's book is much like a puzzle cube.  It mimics more common strategies of literature, such as continuity, and then turns them on their heads.  The author says to himself, and to the reader-- aha, you didn't expect that, did you?

Reading If on a winter's night a traveler is like playing a game of chess with a Grandmaster.  You feel interest, then confusion at a turn of events, mild irritation, and increasing engagement as you try to figure out what is going on; after a while, you feel intense rage at your failure to comprehend what was going on when it first happened, and in the end, you accept your lot in life.  You are the reader, and you have just been tricked into reading a book about reading a book.

That being said, I have never met anyone who, after reflecting on the book, did not enjoy it thoroughly.  There aren't heavy themes like Cloud Atlas, just a playful demonstration of style.  It was genuinely a fun book to read, which was weird, because it was postmodern.

In summary, the manipulation of chronology and continuity can be wonderful literary techniques-- when used by the right authors.  To me, Cloud Atlas was overly-ambitious, and though it was a very good read, it did not deliver the revolutionary impact that it had intended to.  By contrast, If on a winter's night a traveler knows exactly what it is trying to be.  It wasn't a life-changing work; after all, it wasn't intended as such.  But it was perfectly tailored to appeal to a careful, thoughtful reader.

To end this post, I'll make a shameless sales pitch!  If you haven't ever heard of Calvino, and you enjoy reading, I would highly recommend giving him a try.  You won't regret it.

10 comments:

  1. I haven't read If on a Winter's Night a Traveler, but I have seen the film adaptation of Cloud Atlas. I cannot speak to the book, but I loved the movie. The random (at first) disconnects between timelines adds to the engagement of the movie, with enough "deep themes" to keep some literary critics at bay. I too thought it was overly ambitious, but the movie seemed to deliver the message nonetheless. Cloud Atlas is a perfect example of why movies should be literature, because the film accomplished something for me that the book failed to do for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting-- perhaps the movie presented the themes in different ways? Cloud Atlas does seem to greatly lend itself to film, with all of the symbolism that could be highlighted by good cinematography.

      Delete
  2. I'm sorry to say I haven't read either of these novels! You've made If on a Winter's Night a Traveler sound very good, though, and I adore books like that; I'll have to check it out. (This is a bit of a leap, but have you read House of Leaves? I can't say how similar/relevant that is, but it definitely plays with perspectives/themes and I'd be interested to know how successful you thought it was in getting its message(s) across.)

    Alas, I also wasn't here in class the day you were inspired to write this post, so apologies if the point of it went straight over my head.

    I'm becoming very interested, though, in that comparison of literary and genre works, and find myself curious: Do you consider Calvino's book literary? Mitchell's? You mentioned that SUNDUV was not a life-changing work, but also that Cloud Atlas' attempts at getting its theme across were, to an extent, failed. (I might not even be asking this correctly... the question makes less sense the more I look at it. Ah, well. Sorry if it's rubbish.)

    Once again, though, thank you for an excellent post! (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      I regret to admit that House of Leaves is currently in my pile of half-read books that have been abandoned for the moment in favor of schoolwork. But from what I've seen so far (about a third of the book), it's clear that the themes are interwoven pretty intricately with the book's plot and characters, and will creep up on me.

      I think that both are definitely literary; personally, I tend to think that SUNDUV is much more "successful" literature in that it accomplishes its goals, or, at least, those of its goals that I can discern. And I do have to admit that Cloud Atlas is still literature; regardless of how I received its themes, it was still quite well-written and clearly had a purpose.

      (My responses may also not make any sense; it's late, I've just drunk like a gallon of tea, and I'm sitting with my back to a hallway thinking about House of Leaves, haha.)

      Delete
  3. First, I know I should really read If on a Winter's Night a Traveler. Interesting comparison between it and Cloud Atlas. Now a more random comment: Knowing that you have a rich and complicated relationship with Gravity's Rainbow, where do you think it fits in with the two types of books you describe? I feel like all postmodern books have to have some sort of non-linear dimension (I apologize for the poor phrasing), such as unconventional chronology and/or perspective. What do you think is the "deal" with Gravity's Rainbow?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. geh

      While I -strongly- dislike Gravity's Rainbow, I have to admit that it is quite literary. To me as a reader, it was perhaps in an entirely different class from Cloud Atlas and If on a Winter's Night a Traveler?

      If there was a grand, overarching thematic intention to Gravity's Rainbow, I certainly didn't realize it during the reading; however, I think that the book is essentially literature in the fashion of the Dadaists. This book has a profoundly different "feel" from the other two; perhaps it is more extreme in its manipulation of plot.

      But I honestly don't know. The best way I could express it is that riding a horse is to Mitchell and Calvino as riding in a rodeo is to Pynchon. Though all of them are playing little mind games, Pynchon actually seems to want you to stop reading the book.

      Delete
  4. I must say, our shared dislike of Wolf Hall immediately drew me to this blog post.
    The initial description of Cloud Atlas and the varying viewpoints quickly drew to mind the other book I read for summer reading- The Orphan Master's Son. The different perspective and point of view in this novel really interested me since I hadn't read something like it before. Because I enjoyed that one, I think I'll have to give Cloud Atlas a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't deny it, haha.

      I should have thought of that! You're right, they're very similar in principle, though Cloud Atlas does take it a bit farther. (It's a good read, even if you don't agree with the themes-- I can attest to that!)

      Delete
  5. For the most part, I'm pretty fond of disjoint/non-linear storytelling (my favorite film is Pulp Fiction), so I took great interest in this post. I do agree that the technique lends itself better to quirky or puzzling works rather than searing, emotional epics, perhaps because it is harder to get personally invested in every character. Great post! Now I want to check out Calvino to see these techniques utlilized in literature.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Honestly, I didn't Cloud Atlas was that great UNTIL I started coming back through the episodes for the second time. After finishing, I think it is brilliant, but mostly because of the structure. Not for the story or prose.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think? Leave a comment and let me know!